Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Idea of Education


What I am today is the product of education which I got not from the school but from my family, relatives, friends and teachers. I do not remember what I studied in the school but the values and the abilities I have is the outcome of my good education. Though I might not have got a good content knowledge but I am proud that I have a good education. As stated by Albert Einstein, “Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school”, the real goal of education is not necessarily the mastery of the subject matter, but mastery of one’s person. The aim of education should be to develop a life-long love for learning.
The love and care I got motivated me to learn everything with interest and understanding. I might not remember the exact words, the poems and the stories taught but the impact of the moral has turned me to be loving human being. These values have encouraged me and I have come up with my own principles of life among which helping the needy is prior to all.
As Montagu brings out the point “we don’t understand that we need to grow up into children and not adult”, I feel he is very true. The amazing qualities of the children are to be preserved by all.  Children are capable of learning anything, what they need is just the appropriate environmental condition. They are always curious and wonder of anything that happens in the world. We should give them enough love and support for their interest to learn. Every man is born great, only that they do not retain their greatness when they grow big. An adult resists the kid in him and eventually kills it, the most perfect gift of nature, so that he might fit well in the system of his so-called civilized society. Rather we should always be like children and preserving the traits.
During my apprenticeship I had a student who was looked down by the school, society and even her own family. Digging her history, I found that she was once the topper of the class. Some unfavorable circumstance made everyone look down upon her hence her self-respect was diminished, hampering even her academic performances. I was friendly with all my students sharing love and care for them and I used this to drive them forward and inspired them to become the best they can be. I think this behavior of mine made her comfortable and one day she asked me if she can call me brother. Thinking to change her life, I tried my best to be a good brother, and still in the process, counseling and helping her out of this circumstance. I make calls and ask about her to her present teachers and found a vast change in her. Every child has an individual difference which we as a teacher should identify and help them to be a loving human being.
A child educated only at school is an uneducated child”~George Santayana

1 comment: